Babylon is a symbol of the “world power” in Revelation.
It could be a “one world government” or it could be the corrupt world system in general. Here are some of the things it will be judged for in Revelation 18.
- Babylon will be a home of demons. (Vs 2)
- Babylon will participate in passionate immorality. (Vs 3a)
- Babylon will exhibit greed. (Vs 3b, 7, 9-17)
- Babylon will cause terror for others. (Vs 6)
- Babylon will glorify itself. (Vs 7)
- Babylon will persecute the apostles, prophets, and God’s people. (Vs 20, 24)
- Babylon will deceive the nations. (Vs 23)
- Babylon will slaughter people from all over the world. (Vs 24)
God’s people are instructed to do two things…
Come away from her.
“Come away from her, my people. Do not take part in her sins, or you will be punished with her.” Revelation 18:4
We are not to take part in her sins. It is easy to get swept up in cultural currents. Followers of Jesus should not let the ways of the world to influence them to sin.
Rejoice over her final judgment.
“Rejoice over her fate, O heaven and people of God and apostles and prophets! For at last God has judged her for your sakes.” Revelation 18:20
A righteous desire for judgment is good. It is comforting to know that those who have oppressed others will be properly dealt with.
Share on Facebook or Twitter or post a comment. Get daily updates by subscribing by email. From my reading in Revelation 18 in the One Year Bible New Testament.