Something More Epic Than the Olympics – Matthew 24:1-28
Reflection from my reading in Matthew 24:1-28 in the One Year Bible New Testament.
The Gospel To All Nations
In his warning about the end times, Jesus gives many signs that the end is near and then he predicts something will happen before he returns!
“And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” Matthew 24:14
Jesus said that before the end will come, the gospel must be preached to all nations. After saying this, Jesus gave us the command to “make disciples of all nations” Matt 28:18-2o. Jesus won’t return until his followers obey him and preach to all nations!
Unreached People Groups
It is important to know that the original greek word for nations is Ethnos, which means people group, not just political country.
According to the Joshua Project website there are 7,286 unreached people groups!
We have a lot of work to do to get the gospel to these unreached people groups, that’s why I want to encourage you to play your part in reaching the nations for Jesus!
Play Your Part
God does not call every Christian to literally go to the other side of the world, but I believe that we all can be a part of God’s global purpose.
- Go – I encourage you, if you can, to go on a short term trip somewhere less reached than your current home. It will open your eyes to the spiritual needs of the world and it will help you see if full-time overseas missions work is for you.
- Pray – Ask the Lord of the harvest to send workers to the harvest field. Pray specifically for countries and unreached people groups to have missionaries come and that people would respond to the gospel. Use a website or book like Operation World to fuel your prayers.
- Give – You can give money to your church if they are actively involved in missions. Also, you can sponsor a missionary who is raising support or you can give to a missions organization.
- Welcome – In America especially we have an opportunity to welcome international students from all over the world. These are not only people who want to learn about American culture but are also often the brightest future leaders of their countries. I believe reaching international students is one of the keys to reaching the world for Jesus!
- Mobilize – Cast vision for what others can do to go, pray, give, welcome, and mobilize. When you mobilize someone and give them a heart for the nations you are multiplying your impact.
It’s time to stop just talking about missions and start playing your part!
The gospel must be preached to all nations and we are the ones to do it!
Share on Facebook or Twitter #1YWJ